Talichito is an Adirondack Camp that was built in approximately 1917 by The Paulding F. Sellers Family on the edge of the Pharoah Lake Wilderness Area in the Adirondack Park. Talichito is listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places.
The word “Talichito” is Choctaw for “a large rock.” The property was also known as "The Watch rock” which was a local term that was used to describe locations used for stargazing. Mr. Sellers was an executive with the Buffalo General Electric Company. The Sellers Family used the property as their summer residence for many years. Mr. Sellers’ brother David Foote Sellers was a highly decorated admiral in the United States Navy, the Commandant of the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, and used Talichito as his summer residence.
Talichito was purchased by the Woods Family, the proprietors of Wood’s Lodge, in 1946. The Woods Family used the property as a summer vacation property and as a summer rental. It is now proudly owned by Scott and Rob Surovell and Erinn Madden of Mt. Vernon, Virginia, who have been vacationing at Talichito since 1979.
Talichito has 5 bedrooms (3 queens, 1 double, and 2 twins) and 2 1/2 bathrooms. The bathrooms contain the original clawfoot bathtubs. There are presently no showers at Talichito. There is a large family room complete with a stone fireplace. Other rooms include a kitchen and dining porch. There are wood floors throughout the house, except the kitchen. The house has a huge wrap-around front porch, great for watching the sunset and enjoying the lake view. Because of the age of the house, it does not have a dishwasher or washing machine. However, Talichito does have electricity, WiFi, and a water filtration system.
A small boat is included with the rental.